How to Prevent COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease : In this article, I am going to show you some helpful preventive measures to avoid being infected by today’s deadliest Coronavirus disease also known as COVID-19. You’ll also learn more about the best prevention against the coronavirus and the proper way to stay safe.
COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease first started in Wuhan, China and it is vast spreading across the world. COVID-19 was first reported in Africa in Algeria then in Lagos, Nigeria which was discovered from a foreigner (Italian). The mysterious illnesses have been said to jump from animals to humans and from obscurity to international headlines. First detected on the last day of 2019, the novel coronavirus has infected tens of thousands of people — within China’s borders and beyond them — and has killed more than 2,500.
SEE ALSO: BMGA Fellows Program 2020 for Young Nigerian Women – Apply Here
How to Prevent COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease.
Most cases are mild, but health officials say the virus’s spread through the United States appears inevitable. As the country and its health-care system prepares, much is still unknown about the virus that causes the disease now named covid-19.
Today, Coronavirus is often prefaced with the word “novel,” because that’s precisely what it is: a new strain in a family of viruses we’ve all seen before — and, in some form, had. This deadly disease can infect both humans and animals.
How Deadly is Coronavirus – COVID-19?
Reported cases of this disease have claimed about 2% of and all fatal, but many scientist say the death rate could be lower. That’s because early in an outbreak, mild illnesses may not be reported. If only people with severe illness — who are more likely to die — seek care, the virus will appear much more deadly than it really is, because of all the uncounted people with milder symptoms.
In earlier cases, one expert estimated that although 2,000 cases of coronavirus had been reported, 100,000 were probably already sick.
How Does COVID-19 Spread?
Coronavirus spreads much more easily that cause cold-like symptoms, experts have said. A virus that can spread easily — and may already be fairly widespread — presents a huge public health challenge.
Best Ways to Prevent COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease.
The right way to prevent coronavirus is to wash your hands contantly. It’s something of an art form – a timed, multi-step process that can involve some light singing.
Below is the CDC’s official hand-washing how-to. All you need to follow along is a sink and soap.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water. Then, turn off the tap and soap up your hands. Soap is more effective at removing germs than water alone.
- Work the soap into a lather by rubbing your hands together. Lather soap onto the backs of your hands, in between your fingers and under your nails. Lathering causes friction, which strips pesky germs and dirt from the skin. Be sure to get into the nooks and crannies, too -germs lurk there.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Sing or hum “Happy Birthday” twice through to keep time. There’s no magic number, but washing your hands for at least 20 seconds has been shown to remove more microbes than washing for shorter periods does. Singing “Happy Birthday” is just a fun way to make sure you’re scrubbing long enough.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water. You’ve lifted the germs from your hands. Clean water flushes them off.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air-dry them (or a bit of both). Wet hands easily transfer viruses. Drying them off lessens that risk. Soap and water are your best defenses against viruses, but hand sanitizer is an OK substitute if you don’t have access to either of those. Just pump a small glob of sanitizer on one hand and rub your hands together for about 20 seconds. Hand sanitizers won’t get rid of dirt, chemicals or a few types of germs, but they’re better than nothing.
More updates for you;
- NDA Application Form 2020/2021 – 72nd Regular Course Admission
- www.cbncpp.org Employment Portal 2020 – CBN Recruitment
- CBN Recruitment 2020/2021 Form Portal – www.cbncpp.org
- BMGA Fellows Program 2020 for Young Nigerian Women – Apply Here
- Romanian State Scholarships 2020/2021 for Foreign Citizens
- LASU BSc/HND Conversion Admission List 2019/2020 Academic Session
- Mountain Top University Late Resumption Fee 2nd Semester 2019/2020
- Central Bank of Nigeria Recruitment Portal 2020 – www.cbncpp.org
- NOUN 9th Convocation Important Information to Graduands
- ActionAid Nigeria Recruitment 2020/2021 & How to Apply
- INEC Recruitment Closing Date for 2020 Online Registration
- Ecobank Fintech Challenge 2020 for African Start-ups
- applicants.inecrecruitment.com – INEC Recruitment Portal Register & Login
- Nigerian Defence Academy Courses – See Current NDA List of Courses
- ALU Patoranking Scholarship Programme 2020 for Young African Leaders
List of Countries Where COVID-19 Coronavirus Has Spread.
- China – 78,928
- South Korea – 2,337
- Italy – 888
- Iran – 388
- Japan – 228
- Singapore – 93
- United States – 62
- France – 57
- Germany – 48
- Kuwait – 45
- Thailand – 41
- Bahrain – 36
- Taiwan – 34
- Spain – 32
- Malaysia – 23
- Australia – 23
- U.A.E. – 19
- Vietnam – 16
- Canada – 14
- Switzerland – 8
- Iraq – 7
- Sweden – 7
- Norway – 6
- Croatia – 5
- Greece – 4
- Israel – 4
- Oman – 4
- Austria – 3
- India – 3
- Philippines – 3
- Romania – 3
- Finland – 2
- Lebanon – 2
- Pakistan – 2
- Russia – 2
- Afghanistan – 1
- Algeria – 1
- Belarus – 1
- Belgium – 1
- Brazil – 1
- Cambodia – 1
- Denmark – 1
- Egypt – 1
- Estonia – 1
- Georgia – 1
- Iceland – 1
- Lithuania – 1
- Mexico – 1
- Nepal – 1
- Netherlands – 1
- New Zealand – 1
- Nigeria – 1
- San Marino – 1
- Sri Lanka – 1
COVID-19 Coronavirus Related Terms to know.
This term refers to a family of seven known viruses that can infect people, ranging from the common cold to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the even deadlier Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). The name comes from the virus’s shape, which under a microscope looks like a blob surrounded by crown-like spikes.
Sometimes used interchangeably with coronavirus and the official name SARS-CoV-2, covid-19 refers to the disease the virus causes. So SARS-CoV-2 causes covid-19, just as HIV causes AIDS.
The new coronavirus was transmitted from animals to people, making it zoonotic. SARS came from civet cats and MERS came from camels, but it’s not yet known what animal caused the current coronavirus outbreak. The prime suspect so far is the pangolin.
This happens when a disease circulates among people in a certain area who did not travel to an affected location and have no close link to other confirmed cases. To date, almost all cases in the United States have been imported by Americans infected abroad or by a spouse or close contact with the virus. But U.S. officials have identified at least one case in California that is being called the first known instance of community transmission.
Asymptomatic carriers of the virus are people who show no signs of being sick but have the virus and can spread it to others. It is unclear how common asymptomatic transmissions are with the new coronavirus. Outbreak: A sudden increase in the number of cases of a disease in a particular place and time.
A large outbreak that spreads among a population or in a region. Pandemic: An epidemic that has become rampant in multiple countries and continents simultaneously. So far, the World Health Organization has held off declaring the current crisis a pandemic, but many experts think the virus’s geographic spread is already at that level or will be before long.
Keeping those who are sick and infected away from those who aren’t is referred to as isolation. Hospitals have taken strict measures to isolate coronavirus patients using isolation wards, ventilators that prevent air from circulating more widely and heavy protective gear for health workers.
Restricting the movement of people who seem healthy but may have been exposed to the virus is known as a quarantine. Americans who were evacuated from Wuhan and cruise ships, for example, have been kept in strict quarantine on military bases for 14 days, which is what experts believe is the virus’s incubation period.
Final Note on How to Prevent COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease.
Health is wealth – so it is. If you don’t learn how to take good care of yourself and prevent unnecessary/unplanned deaths, issues as this might come knocking at your doorstep.
Kindly share this update and stay informed.