The new tarrif hike regime is to be paid by customers of the 11 electricity Distribution Companies, DISCOs.
This is coming just two months after the Commission forced implementation of much opposed hike on Nigerians in November 2020.
In a revised Multi Year Tariff Order (MYTO) signed by the new Chairman of NERC, Engr. Sanusi Garba, on December 30, 2020, the new tariff increase took effect on January 1, 2021, and supersedes the previous Order NERC/2028/2020.
READ ALSO: Kwara State TESCOM Recruitment
In the new Order NERC/225/2020, the commission said it considered the 14.9% inflation rate rise in November 2020, foreign exchange of N379.4/$1 as of December 29, 2020, available generation capacity, US inflation rate of 1.22% and the Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) of the power firms to raise the tariff.
The revised Service Based Tariff (SBT) also saw increase in the rates payable by all classes of electricity users unlike the one of November 2020, that exempted low power getters.
READ ALSO: Nigerians disagree with FG on claim of reducing data price by 50%
This is effective till June 2021 while a Cost Reflective Tariff (CRT) expected to raise the new cost higher will be activated from June to December 2021, the NERC Order revealed.
Recall NERC earlier in December, 2020, notified that it had begun a review for another tariff, which has been completed and had taken effect from January 1, 2021.
NERC had raised tariff for the DISCOs in September but that drew outrages from customers and the organised labour, prompting the Federal Government to suspend it to pave ways for parties to dialogue.
Subsequently, by November 1, 2020, the suspended tariff was implemented after some discounts were given for customers who get 12 hours and above power supply daily.
- NDA Application Form 2021/2022 – 73rd Regular Course Admission
- JAMB Cut-Off Marks 2021/2022 Admission – Universities, Poly & COE
- FG Scholarship Awards for Postgraduate, Undergraduate, HND and NCE 2021
- Lafarge Africa Plc National Essay Competition | Over N3 Million in Cash Prizes
- HackXploit Competition for Young Nigerian Hackers | N1.75 Million in Prizes
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships (QECS) 2021/2022
- MTN mPulse Hackathon | N1m in Funding Support
- Ibhawoh Foundation Essay Competition for Undergraduate Students
- UNILAG Recruitment 2021 Application Form & How to Apply
- Access Bank Graduate Green Internship Program 2021
- Access Bank Accelerator Internship Program 2021
- Ogun State Government (OGUNINVEST) Recruitment
- Nigerian Drone Business Competition 2021 for Nigerian Entrepreneurs
- NNPC/Chevron JV National University Scholarship
- Agbami Undergraduate Scholarship Campaign
- World Bank #Blog4Dev Competition 2021 for Africans
- How to Access 10 Million Naira Collateral-free CBN AGSMEIS Loan