European Forum Alpbach (EFA) Awards Scholarship Programme 2022: Every year, the European Forum Alpbach awards scholarships to hundreds of outstanding young talents from all around the world. Our scholarship programme enables students, young professionals and changemakers to come to Alpbach and attend a unique programme consisting of scientific and artistic seminars, a high-level conference programme and a variety of social and cultural activities.
The European Forum Alpbach 2022 will take place from 21 August to 2 September 2022. In addition to the common conference programme, scholarship holders get to attend the Alpbach Seminars which are the academic heart of the European Forum Alpbach.
READ ALSO: OOU ID Card Data Capture Timetable for Fresh Students 2021/2022
Table of Contents
European Forum Alpbach (EFA) Awards Scholarship Programme 2022.
#EFA22 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
The European Forum Alpbach 2022 will take place from 21 August to 2 September 2022.
In addition to the common conference programme, scholarship holders get to attend the Alpbach Seminars which are the academic heart of the European Forum Alpbach. The seminars run for two weeks during the forum.
They take place in the mornings and are characterized by a participative atmosphere, an interdisciplinary approach and intergenerational dialogue. Scholarship holders can choose two seminars, which they attend each for one week. The interplay of scientific, creative and skill-orientated seminars, together with the programme of panels, workshops and plenary debates in the afternoons transforms Alpbach into a place of innovative knowledge transfer and holistic learning.
Please note: Scholarship holders are required to arrive on 20 August to join the scholarship welcome event.
FIRST-TIME SCHOLARSHIP HOLDER
In order to apply for an #efa22 scholarship you must not have attended the onsite conference of the European Forum Alpbach as a scholarship holder before.
The main language of the European Forum Alpbach is English. Therefore, you need to be able to communicate in English fluently (minimum on a European B2 level). There are several ways to prove your English proficiency:
- Proof that your degree is taught entirely in English
- A language certificate (e.g., TOEFL with a min. score of 72, IELTS with a min. score of 5.5, CPE or CAE with a min. score of 162, MUET with a min. score of 5)
- If you are a native speaker, you can upload a copy of your passport. You are considered a native speaker if you come from one of the following majority English-speaking countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, South Africa, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom, United States of America.
- Equivalents to these tests: evidence that you have reached European level B2, e.g., a confirmation by your school, employer, or a university professor, explicitly stating that you have reached B2 or an equivalent to B2.
If your language certificates are in a language other than English, you need to submit a translation. This translation does not need to be certified. Please note that a mere confirmation of participation in a language test does not suffice.
AGED BETWEEN 18 AND 30 YEARS (18-35 FOR AFRICAN APPLICANTS)
All first-time scholarship applicants must be aged between 18 and 30. For African applicants, the threshold of 35 applies
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE
All young people meeting the scholarship requirements may apply regardless of their country of residence. The application process varies in case you are an Austrian, Chinese and Taiwanese national. For more details please see Application Process below.
We welcome applicants from all academic disciplines. Artists and non-graduates and are also strongly encouraged to apply!
DURATION OF STAY
All applicants must be available and ready to attend the European Forum Alpbach 2022 from 20 August to 2 September 2022.
SOCIALLY ENGAGED, ACTIVE AND CURIOUS
It is important for us to receive applications from people who are socially engaged and think about society in a holistic way. Civil service, volunteering, political or non-profit work are considered in this category.
Alpbach focuses on curiosity, dialogue, and interdisciplinary solutions to our society’s struggles. We welcome applications from people who think outside the box and ask as many questions as they can think of!
How to Apply European Forum Alpbach (EFA) Awards Scholarship Programme 2022.
The #EFA22 Scholarship Programme application platform for a scholarship at the European Forum Alpbach 2022 will open on 15 March 2022 and close on 31 March 2022. Please find all details for your application below:
All applicants except Austrian, Taiwanese and Chinese citizens will have to apply for a scholarship on the following platform: (link will be provided as of 15 March 2022)
In order to apply, you need to meet all above mentioned criteria and provide information, including:
- Proof of your English B2 level as stated in section “English proficiency”
- Latest diploma with transcript of records (in English, German or French)
Personal information, CV details and a motivational statement*
AUSTRIAN & GERMAN CITIZENS
Austrian and Germans citizens must apply for a scholarship through the Forum Alpbach Network Alumni Clubs. Requirements and dates may vary. For further information please visit the website of your respective club:
- Club Alpbach Burgenland
- Club Alpbach Niederösterreich
- Club Alpbach Oberösterreich
- Club Alpbach Salzburg
- Club Alpbach Senza Confini
- Club Alpbach Steiermark
- Club Alpbach Tirol
- Club Alpbach Vorarlberg
- Initiativgruppe Alpbach Wien
CHINESE & TAIWANESE CITIZENS
More information coming soon (beginning of March)
Your motivation statement will consist of a coherent short essay (max. 4.500 characters) that answers the following questions:
- In terms of topics, ideas and knowledge, what will I contribute to one or more of the tracks of the European Forum Alpbach 2022 (Democracy & the Rule of Law, Securing our Future, The Climate Opportunity, The Financing of Europe’s Future)?
- How would you describe yourself – thinker, dreamer, influencer, changemaker … – or else? Elaborate.
- Which qualities and skills would you like to develop, and how can the European Forum Alpbach contribute to that?
- What societal changes – in your community, or beyond – would you like to witness in the future, what opportunities for civil society to initiate these do you see, and how do you think you might be able to contribute?
Please prepare your motivational statement before starting to fill in the application form. Do not include any personal information such as your name or gender in your essay.