UWC Global Selection Programme (UWC-GSP) for Nigerian Students: The UWC Global Selection Programme is designed for those: who wish to apply 9-12 months before the beginning of the school year, who are able to pay the full fee for the UWC school or college to which they are successful in applying and who are looking to attend a specific school.
A limited number of full-fee paying places are available at 18 UWC schools and colleges.
The UWC Global Selection Programme is coordinated by the UWC International office in close cooperation with UWC schools, colleges, and the national committees. Selections are carried out by experienced UWC selection volunteers.
- 1 UWC Global Selection Programme (UWC-GSP) for Nigerian Students.
- 2 Successful candidates will usually be aged 16 to 17 in Year 11 or 12 (or equivalent) and demonstrate the following qualities:
- 3 Candidates must
- 4 UWC Nigerian National Committee Application Procedure.
- 5 More information on UWC Global Selection Programme (UWC-GSP) for Nigerian Students.
The UWC movement seeks outstanding students who want to become change-makers for a better world, regardless of their socio-economic, religious, national, ethnic or cultural background. If you are a passionate learner, excited at the prospect of studying and living with young people from around the world, a UWC education is for you. If the UWC mission for a more peaceful and sustainable future inspires you, please apply!
UWC Nigerian National Committee Selection Criteria
UWC is a unique organisation. It is the only global educational NGO that brings students together from all over the world, selected from within their own countries, on merit and regardless of their ability to pay. These students come together at one of eighteen UWC schools and colleges that aim to foster international peace and understanding.
UWC believes that to achieve peace and a sustainable future, the values it promotes are crucial;
- International and intercultural understanding
- Celebration of difference
- Personal responsibility and integrity
- Mutual responsibility and respect
- Compassion and service
- Respect for the environment
- A sense of idealism
- Personal challenge
- Action and personal example
Each College offers selected students a two-year course of study before entry into University.
In addition to academics, the programme of activities emphasizes concern for others through community service activities. Emphasis is also placed on outdoor adventures and creative pursuits. Students attending UWC sit for the International Baccalaureate examinations at the end of the two years.
The IB Diploma is recognised for university entrance worldwide.
Successful candidates will usually be aged 16 to 17 in Year 11 or 12 (or equivalent) and demonstrate the following qualities:
- Academic strengths which indicate a strong likelihood of success in the IB programme;
- Willingness to befriend and learn from people whose ideas, beliefs and cultural backgrounds may be very different to their own;
- The ability to gain the most from the opportunity and to contribute to college life (relevant qualities include a commitment to service, an openness of mind, enthusiasm, balance, good humor, the ability to thrive in a foreign environment, emotional strength, and physical fitness);
- An active contributor to the life of their school or wider community;
- Involvement in cultural, artistic or sporting activities.
It is important that candidates should be thoroughly articulate so that they may be able to advance their own views and those of their country, of which they will be seen as representatives. Every student sent to a UWC must be of the quality one would like to see representing his or her own country alongside very carefully selected students from other countries. Experience has shown that successful students are those who come with a clear awareness of the aims of the UWC and a personal commitment to contribute to them.
Parents (or guardians) are responsible for signing the application form, but the decision to apply must lie above all with the candidates themselves.
- Be Nigerian. (Non-Nigerians resident in Nigeria may apply either through their own national committees or directly to individual UWCs through the Global Selection Programme).
- Be between the ages of 16 and 17.
- Have demonstrated outstanding academic ability
- Have obtained the Senior School Certificate- SSCE/GCE O’ Levels or their recognised equivalent. (Exceptional students in SS3 may apply on the basis of their 2 years continuous assessment as evidenced by their school transcripts)
NOTE: Candidate can be a resident in any part of the globe.
UWC Nigerian National Committee Application Procedure.
Application forms can be obtained on the payment of N10,000.00 (Ten Thousand Naira only) while candidates from any public school who are nominated by the school may obtain the forms at the cost of N1,000.00 (One Thousand Naira only).
- Download the application form HERE (PDF).
- Submit applications HERE OR alternatively, submit at any of the centres below or scan and send directly to our email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the prescribed fees within the application period.
If you wish to set up an appointment to discuss your application, please contact us via: https://calendly.com/uwcng
More information on UWC Global Selection Programme (UWC-GSP) for Nigerian Students.
Forms can also be Purchased and Submitted at any of the following Centres below:
Dr. Kevin Ihenetu (Abuja Purchasing Centre): 08033500289
Citizenship and Leadership Training Centre,
Plot 1075, Joseph Gomwalk Street, After Bahamas Plaza,
Gudu – Abuja.
Mrs. Chioma Nwigwe (Port-Harcourt Purchasing Centre): 07038071037
18 Egbelo Street, Off Okporo Road,
Port Harcourt – Rivers State.
Mr. Amechi Sunday ((Edo/Delta Purchasing Centre): 08037405955
6, Osewe Street, Oluku Bypass
Benin, Edo State.
All applications must be submitted with the required documents and prescribed fees within the application period:
- At any of the aforementioned centres,
- Scanned and sent directly to our email HERE.
- Through our website HERE
Application Closing Date
11:59 PM on Friday, 22nd October 2021.
In the past shortlisted candidates have been invited for a rigorous selection exercise at the Sea School Apapa Lagos. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Committee will monitor the situation carefully and determine the most appropriate way to conduct the selection exercise in December 2021 to safeguard the participants’ lives and health.
If you wish to set up an appointment to discuss your application, please contact us via:
Email: email@example.com, WhatsApp: 09058169893 Call 07011397295 (IN URGENT CASES)
Choosing your application route to study the IBDP at UWC for 2020-2022:
|UWC Global Selection Programme||UWC Nigeria National committee selections|
|Is entry guaranteed?||No||No|
|When are places offered to successful applicants?||February 2022||January-February 2022|
|Are the number of places available limited?||Yes||Yes|
|Are scholarships available?||No||Yes, on the basis of demonstrated need|
|Am I able to apply for a specific UWC school or college?||Yes (most applicants choose at least four campuses)||No|
|Can I apply in a language other than English?||No||No|
|How can I apply?||Apply here
(places at selection days are strictly limited and awarded on an ongoing basis)
|Contact the UWC Nigerian National Committee|
|I want to stay informed about the application process.||To receive information about the UWC Global Selection Programme:||Contact the UWC Nigerian National Committee|