MBBS in Australia 2022: Requirements, Costs & Top-Ranked Universities: If your dream is to study Medicine in Australia with little or zero tuition fees? Then, this post is tailored to help guide you through on what is required to Study Medicine in Australia, including MBBS Requirements and admissions process. There are also scholarships and tuition waiver opportunities to help you study for free in Australia.
Of course, there are opportunities available to international students to study Medicine in Australia without having to break a bank: there are processes involved and a few tips you might just need to learn.
- 1 MBBS in Australia 2022: Requirements, Costs & Top-Ranked Universities.
- 2 Why Study MBBS in Australia?
- 3 Course Duration of MBBS in Australia
- 4 Top Medical Universities in Australia: Fee Structure
- 5 Eligibility Criteria: Applying for MBBS in Australia
- 6 Admission Process (2022-2023): Applying for MBBS in Australia.
- 7 Documents Required
- 8 Scholarships Offered: for MBBS in Australia
- 9 Career Opportunities after MBBS in Australia
- 10 Cost of Living
- 11 What You Should Know about Studying Medicine in Australia.
MBBS in Australia has an annual increase of 15-20% each year. With the world-class infrastructure, globally recognized degree, structured curriculum, futuristic technologies, versatile teaching methodology study MBBS in Australia has set a global mark across all over the world. The number of foreign students migrating to Australia for studying MBBS in Australia. From the past few years, Australia has produced top medical professionals, practitioners, doctors from various parts of the country.
Medical universities in Australia have dynamic practical sessions with the traditional education system that enhances the learning environment of medical students in a more prominent way. The country offers a bachelor as well as a master’s degree program for international students with exciting opportunities in the field of medicine.
Before you proceed, check – Registration Procedure For 2022 JAMB UTME/DE Form On Portal.
- NDA Courses & Requirements for 74th Regular Course
- NDA Application Form 2022/2023 – 74th Regular Course Admission
- NDA Subject Combination 2022 for 74RC Entrance Exam (JAMB)
- 2022 JAMB Direct Entry Form Registration Instructions & Guidelines
- How To Retrieve / Recover JAMB Profile Code 2022/2023
- JAMB Profile Code 2022/2023 (All You Need To Know)
- JAMB Correction Of Data 2022/2023 | Cost, Requirements & How-To-Do
- How To Link Email To JAMB Profile 2022/2023 (Email And Password)
- JAMB Regularization 2022/2023 – How to & Requirements
- JAMB Registration Form 2022/2023 Guidelines & Instructions
- JAMB Subject Combinations 2022 For All Courses (UTME/DE)
- JAMB Cut-Off Marks 2022 Admission – Universities, Poly & COE
- NOUN Approved Graduation List 2022
Why Study MBBS in Australia?
Following are the top benefits of studying MBBS in Australia:
- MBBS degree from Australia has worldwide recognition.
- The medical universities in Australia offer research and practical oriented education in the course of medicine.
- Australia has a renowned association of medical doctors who work as professors in the universities of Australia.
- There is an ample number of career opportunities after completing MBBS in Australia.
- Australian universities host more than 1 lakh foreign students every year and the number is increasing every year.
Course Duration of MBBS in Australia
The MBBS course duration in Australia is 6 years. The details about the MBBS course durations are discussed below.
- MBBS in Australia lasts for a duration of 6 years.
- There is 1 year of the internship program which is compulsory for each medical student.
- The courses taught in the English language.
- During the course of the study, students are subjected to an advanced training program as conducted by the medical universities of Australia.
Top Medical Universities in Australia: Fee Structure
Following is the fee structure of top Medical universities in Australia:
The average cost of MBBS in Australia ranges from AU$255,200 to AU$630,000. Here are the fees of MBBS in Australia as offered by varied MBBS colleges:
|University||Course||Total Course Fee|
|The University of Melbourne||MD||AUD$322,742|
|Australian National University||Bachelor of Health Sciences||AU$146580|
|Australian National University||MCh Degree||AU$336,572|
|Monash University||BMedSci+MD||AU$318,800 – 398,500|
|The University of Sydney||MD||AU$320,000|
|The University of Sydney||Bachelor of Science+Doctor of Medicine||AU$630,000|
(Roughly 140,58,300 INR)
|University of Tasmania||MBBS||AU$401,917|
|University of New South Wales||BMed+MD||AU$490,990|
|University of Western Sydney||Bachelor of Advanced Medical Science||AU$152400|
|The University of Western Sydney||MD||AUD$345,050|
|The University of Adelaide||MBBS||AU$456,000|
|University of Queensland||MD||AU$324,608|
Eligibility Criteria: Applying for MBBS in Australia
Follow the below eligibility criteria for applying MBBS in Australia:
- Applicants must have completed higher secondary education (10+2 level) from the recognized board or university.
- The age of the candidate is a minimum of 17 years.
- Applicants need to clear the IELTS/TOEFL exam with a minimum grade of 7 points.
- The applicant must clear the UMAT test as conducted by the university for international students.
Admission Process (2022-2023): Applying for MBBS in Australia.
Commencement of academic year in the medical universities of Australia will start in the month of January. Applicants need to apply 4 months before enrolling for the MBBS course in Australia:
Following is the admission procedure required for applying for MBBS course in Australia:
Step 1: Check the University Status.
Step 2: Fill the application form/apply on the official site of the respective university.
Step 3: Fill the document details. Upload the scanned copy of the documents.
Step 4: Ensure that you have valid copies of transcripts, certificates and mark sheets.
Step 5: Pay the application fees & take a printout of the application form.
Step 6: Wait for the application review process. It takes 2-3 weeks for approval.
Step 7: Get an invitation letter from the institute & apply for the visa.
Step 8: Report the date of arrival to the respective university and get an airport pickup.
Follow the below documents checklists required for applying MBBS in Australia:
- Copy of 10th Certificate & mark sheets
- Copy of 12th Certificate & mark sheets
- Copy of Bachelor degree certificate (If applicable)
- NEET Score Card
- Birth Certificate
- Leaving Certificate
- UCAT scorecard
- Personal statement
- Bank Statement
- Copy of passports
- Passport-size photographs
Scholarships Offered: for MBBS in Australia
Following are the scholarships offered for studying MBBS in Australia:
1 Australia Award Scholarship
The scholarships are awarded for contributing to the long term development in association with partner countries of Australia.
2 Notre Dame Scholarship
The scholarship is awarded to need-based and merit-based international students through the University of Notre Dame. For need-based scholarships, students need to produce financial aid profiles.
3 Tasmanian International Scholarship
It is a scholarship awarded to international students with a reduction of 25% of tuition fees. For availing this scholarship, students need to obtain satisfactory grades in the subjects.
4 Sydney Achievers International Award
The scholarship is awarded to foreign students who want to pursue an education in the University of Sydney Australia.
5 Lindsay MCWha International
The scholarship is provided to international students with the benefits of 50% of accommodation in the urban apartment.
Career Opportunities after MBBS in Australia
Australia is the place that distributes a number of medical professionals to the various countries across the world:
Following are the career opportunities offered after completing MBBS in Australia:
- Hospital administrator
- Medical Officer
- Nuclear scientist
- Assistant physio
- General practitioner
Cost of Living
Following is the cost of living for studying medicine in Australia:
|Particulars||Cost in USD|
|Accommodation||571 – 714|
|Food||214 – 285|
|Transport||100 – 114|
What You Should Know about Studying Medicine in Australia.
Studying Medicine in Australia can be fun when financial barriers are removed or reduced. Let’s dive into looking at some of the universities offering medical studies in Australia, typical tuition fees, and a number of scholarship opportunities.
1#: Universities in Australia to Study Medicine*
Australian Universities welcomes international students to take Bachelors’s, Masters’s, and Ph.D. courses in Australia. Below is a list of schools in Australia that can make medical studies possible with little or no cost. Tuition free programs are also available in some of these schools (mostly for non-medical courses though)
- MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE
- UNIVERSITY OF DIVINITY
- RMIT UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
- QUEENSLAND UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN QUEENSLAND
- UNIVERSITY OF SUNSHINE COAST
- UNIVERSITY OF CANBERRA
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
- CHARLES DARWIN UNIVERSITY
- SOUTHERN CROSS UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE
- AUSTRALIAN CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY
- VICTORIA UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND
- JAMES COOK UNIVERSITY
- GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY
- WESTERN SYDNEY UNIVERSITY
- CHARLES STURT UNIVERSITY
- CHARLES STURT UNIVERSITY
- EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY
*The list above is not comprehensive and the reader need to do his/her personal findings, possibly getting a direct information from the school is usually advised.
1#: TYPICAL TUITION FEES FOR MEDICAL STUDY IN AUSTRLIA
Australian Universities are said to be generous when it comes to giving away tuition fees and living expenses in the form of scholarships to international students.
Typical tuition fees for undergraduate medical programs are around 57,760 to 71,488 Australian Dollars (approximately 40.000 to 49,100Euros/year) and this may increase every year. It is important to note that it has been estimated by some Institute that Medicine course fees could rise by as much as 270 percent, pushing the annual cost to $37,000 and putting the total bill for a medical degree at $180,000. This is why many find it hard to either begin or continue studying medicine.
Because of this, we have decided to put together a list of tuition-free schools or schools with very low tuition in Australia where you can get a medical degree, without having to lose sleep or bag home a long stack of debt after graduation.
2#: SCHOLARSHIPS AND TUITION WAIVERS FOR MEDICAL STUDY IN AUSTRALIA
While scholarships for graduate students may be easy to come by, to get a fully funded scholarship for undergraduate medical studies, students would usually have to pass through their home country funding programs or the Australia Government funding programs as the case may be. The schools listed above may have partial funding opportunities through the year, so prospective students need to check for when such opportunities are available through the schools’ websites.
Example of few scholarship programs meant for medical students are listed as follows:
RMIT University Merit Awards for Science, Engineering and Health in Australia
RMIT University is offering an opportunity for international students to get funding up to about AU$10,000 to aid their study.The scholarships are for commencing international students undertaking selected degree programmes at RMIT’s College of Science, Engineering and Health; and the scholarship will contribute towards your living expenses.
Doherty Scholarship at Australian National University (ANU) in Australia
This scholarship is offered by the John Curtin School of Medical Research (JCSMR). The Doherty Scholarship (Clinical) is to attract students of high calibre with clinical qualifications to pursue graduate research involving a clinical research project for a PhD degree at the JCSMR.
Monash University DEPM Prostate Cancer Research Scholarship, Australia
The DEPM Prostate Cancer Research Scholarship is intended to encourage students to undertake further studies at Honours level in medicine at the Monash Alfred campus in the area of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, focusing principally on improving health outcomes for men diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Ric (Frederic) Bouvier Scholarship for International Students
Ric (Frederic) Bouvier is awarded to international students across the globe for a full-time study programme in Australia. This scholarship is awarded to students enrolled or intending to enrol in a Bachelor of Paramedicine (Honours) at a Monash campus in Australia.
3#: REQUIREMENTS TO STUDY MEDICINE IN AUSTRALIA
Undergraduate Medicine (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – 6 years)
Students applying for an undergraduate medical degree in Australia will have their applications assessed against these criteria:
- Academic merit (as demonstrated by grades in A-Levels, International Baccalaureate or equivalent. BTEC Diplomas are not accepted by Australian medical schools as being suitable for entry)
- Interview (the format of this will vary depending on the school. Some interviews are formal and have to be attended in person, others are more relaxed discussions held over Skype or phone)
- In order to be eligible to apply, students must have completed their school leaving qualification (or be in the final year of study for that qualification) with strong grades in the required subjects and have achieved a minimum score on an aptitude test.
- Provided academic and aptitude test score requirements are met, applicants are invited to interview for a place on the course.
- There is some variation in subject prerequisite requirements but almost all medical schools will require you to have a strong pass in Chemistry (at A2 or Higher Level in IB). Most will also require Math, and Physics or Biology is also recommended.
- Grade requirements vary between universities between ABB and A*A*A, or between 35 and 43 in the IB. Please note that achieving (or being predicted) the minimum grades required will only make you eligible to apply; it does not guarantee you a place.
What aptitude test do I need?
All but one of the Australian universities that require aptitude test results as part of your application requires the International Student Admissions Test (ISAT). The exception to this is the University of Adelaide, which runs its own aptitude test, the PQA.
ISAT is administered by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER). It is a 3-hour computer-based multiple-choice test. There are no set dates for testing and you can choose to sit the test at a date and time that suits you within an 11-month window.
ISAT is designed to test skills including the ability to reason, make logical deductions, and form judgments. It does not examine any particular subject knowledge and is therefore not something that can be revised for. However, having some familiarity with the type of questions asked can certainly be an advantage and you can access practice tests on the ACER website. Note that you can only take ISAT once within a 12-month period.
If you find this post useful let us know at the comment section.
And, remember to Sign-Up for updates so you don’t miss any opportunity.