Applications for the 2024 Rhodes Scholarship are now open! The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full time, postgraduate award which enables talented young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. Applying for the Scholarship is a challenge, but it is an experience which has helped generations of young people to succeed. We encourage applications from talented students everywhere.
The Rhodes Scholarship is a life-changing opportunity to join outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. Rhodes Scholars come to the UK for two or more years and can apply to study most full-time postgraduate courses offered by Oxford University.
A Rhodes Scholarship covers:
- Oxford University course fees;
- The University application fee;
- An annual living stipend of £18,180
- Student visa fee and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS);
- Two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
On arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling in allowance and for those Scholars who transition to a second course of study in Oxford, they will again receive assistance to cover the fee for visa renewal and further application for IHS.
2024 Rhodes Scholarship – University of Oxford Eligibility
- The Rhodes Trust warmly welcomes applications from talented young persons of diverse backgrounds.
- The broad eligibility criteria of the Rhodes Scholarship; definitive eligibility criteria are listed in the relevant Information for Candidates document for your country/region.
- The detailed eligibility criteria varies slightly depending on which constituency you are applying for. A constituency is a country, a group of countries, and/or territories, regions or states, grouped together for the purposes of administering scholarships.
- Selection of Rhodes Scholars is made without regard to gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, social background, caste, or disability.
Below is a list of the Rhodes constituencies and the number of Scholarships available for each.
- AUSTRALIA (9 Scholarships)
- BERMUDA (1 Scholarship)
- CANADA (11 Scholarships)
- CHINA (4 Scholarships)
- COMMONWEALTH CARIBBEAN (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Sep 28
Covering Anguilla, Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Montserrat, St Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent, Trindad and Tobago, and, the Turks and Caicos Islands
- EAST AFRICA (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Aug 31
Covering Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi
- GERMANY (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Sep 14
- GLOBAL (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 1
- HONG KONG SAR (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Sep 29
- INDIA (5 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 1
- ISRAEL (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Sep 28
- JAMAICA (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Sep 28
- KENYA (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 31
- MALAYSIA (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Aug 31
- NEW ZEALAND (3 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 1
- PAKISTAN (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Aug 1
- SAUDI ARABIA (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Sep 21
- SINGAPORE (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Sep 29
- SOUTHERN AFRICA (10 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 1
Covering South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and eSwatini
- SYRIA, JORDAN, LEBANON AND PALESTINE (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 31
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Sep 21
- UNITED STATES (32 Scholarships) | Deadline: Oct 4
Covering the 50 states of the US, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories of American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
- WEST AFRICA (1 Scholarship) | Deadline: Aug 28
Covering Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe, and Togo.
- ZAMBIA (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 31
- ZIMBABWE (2 Scholarships) | Deadline: Aug 31
If your country is not included in their list of constituencies, you may still be able to apply for the Global Rhodes Scholarship. To find out more please choose ‘Global’ from the dropdown menu on their Apply page.
They are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The criteria which determined the first Rhodes Scholars in 1902 still guide us today:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
How to Apply for 2024 Rhodes Scholarship – University of Oxford (Fully-funded)
- Read carefully the detailed Information for Candidates specific to the country/region to which you are applying.
- Check the opening and closing dates of the application for your country/region
- Check your eligibility and apply.
Deadline:Varies by Country (see below)