Mastercard On-campus Scholarships at Edinburgh 2023/2024.
The University of Edinburgh, in collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation, is thrilled to announce the On-campus Postgraduate Scholarships for the academic year 2023/2024. Aimed at fostering a new generation of global leaders, this programme is an exceptional opportunity for young talents across Sub-Saharan Africa.
Find out more about the process of applying for MasterCard on-campus postgraduate scholarships with the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Edinburgh.
Aims of the Mastercard On-campus Scholarships at Edinburgh
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is committed to addressing the prevailing climate crisis on a global scale. Beyond the realm of traditional scholarship programmes, this initiative:
- Aims to make a significant impact on the climate crisis.
- Endeavours to cultivate a talented, entrepreneurial, and compassionate community of leaders from across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Empower young scholars with the requisite knowledge, skills, and networking capabilities to spearhead sustainable transitions.
Available On-campus Postgraduate Programmes
Successful candidates will be granted a one-year on-campus scholarship in the following specialisations:
- Africa and International Development
- Food Security
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Data, Inequality and Society
- Operational Research
- Environmental Sustainability
- Climate Change Finance and Investment
- Planetary Health
- Environment & Development
Mastercard On-campus Scholarships Benefits
The scholars stand to gain a comprehensive package that includes:
- Full coverage of approved tuition, accommodation, travel, living costs, and study materials.
- Participation in a climate leadership programme, geared towards fostering change within their native communities and countries.
- Tailored support for scholars with disabilities, based on a thorough needs assessment.
Eligibility Criteria for the Mastercard On-campus Scholarships.
To qualify for this esteemed scholarship, applicants must:
- Secure an academic position at the University of Edinburgh for one of the aforementioned degree programmes. Typically, a UK Second Class (Upper) Bachelor’s (Hons) degree or its equivalent is a prerequisite.
- Have encountered considerable obstacles in their educational journey, whether social, financial, personal, practical, or health-related.
- Complete their undergraduate studies by September 2023 and provide their degree certificate and final transcript by 7 December 2023.
- Be a resident, citizen, or refugee in a Sub-Saharan African nation.
- Exhibit a history of leadership and community service.
- Demonstrate tangible experience or ambition to address the climate crisis.
- Be aged 35 or below as of 1 September 2024.
- Refrain from pursuing a postgraduate degree elsewhere while benefiting from the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship.
Notably, the programme welcomes applications from female scholars, individuals with refugee or displaced backgrounds, and those with disabilities.
The university adopts a comprehensive selection methodology, taking into account:
- The academic prowess of the candidate.
- Proven track record in leadership roles and community service.
- Alignment of the application with the theme of climate justice.
- The prospective impact on the development of the applicant’s homeland.
- History of overcoming educational barriers.
How to Apply Mastercard On-campus Scholarships at Edinburgh 2023/2024.
For those solely targeting the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, it’s advised to commence the application process through the scholarship programme. Following the receipt of a scholarship offer, candidates can then apply for their chosen programme at the University of Edinburgh.
For a more in-depth overview, consider visiting the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program official webpage.
Application timeline 2023/24.
|1 December 2023 (5 pm UK time)||Applications open|
|7 December 2023 (5 pm UK time)||Applicants need to have completed a registration to the scholarship application site and completed the eligibility assessment and declaration.|
|Early February 2024||Applications close.|
|By mid-March||On-campus (ODL) Interview shortlisting begins; both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified.|
|Mid to Late February 2024||On-campus interviews take place.|
|March-August 2024||On-campus Interview outcomes will be announced.|
|The academic program starts.||Support provided through admission and immigration processes.|
|September 2024||Academic program starts.|
This scholarship presents an unrivalled opportunity to drive change, innovate, and lead. It is not merely financial aid; it’s a movement for the betterment of our planet.