Google Summer of Code 2020 Open for Students & How to Apply : This is to inform you that Google is now accepting student applications for Google Summer of Code 2020 program that introduces university students from around the world to open source software communities, as well as our enthusiastic and generous community of mentors.
Google Summer of Code 2020 now open for student applications! If you’re a university student and want to sharpen your software development skills while doing good for the open source community, check out Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2020! This will be our 16th year of GSoC!
For three months students code from the comfort of their homes (the program is entirely online!) and receive stipends based on the successful completion of their project milestones.
Past participants say the real-world experience that GSoC provides honed their technical skills, boosted their confidence, expanded their professional network, and enhanced their resume, all while making them better developers.
What is Google Summer of Code?
Google Summer of Code is a global program focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development. Students work with an open source organization on a 3 month programming project during their break from school.
- JAMB 2020 Reprint Exam Slip Portal – www.jamb.org.ng/ExamSlipPrinting
- FirstBank Recruitment 2020/2021 Application Form & How to Apply
- SPDC Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2020 & How to Apply
- JAMB Result 2020 – New Method of Checking Result www.jamb.org.ng
- Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) Recruitment 2020/2021
- Dufil Prima Foods Graduate Trainee Programme 2020 & How to Apply
- Download Civil Defence Past Questions & Answers PDF
- Download PDF: Civil Defence Shortlisted Candidates
- How To Apply CBN AGSMEIS Loan 2020/2021 & Requirements
- CDFIPB Application Number Retrieval Process 2020 [NSCDC Recruitment]
- How to Update Profile on Civil Defence Portal 2020 – cdfipb.careers
- CBN Recruitment 2020/2021 Form Portal – www.cbncpp.org
- CBN MSMEDF Loan 2020/2021 Application Guide – Apply Without Collateral
How does the program work?
Students contact the mentor organizations they want to work with and write up a project proposal for the summer. If accepted, students spend a month integrating with their organizations prior to the start of coding. Students then have three months to code, meeting the deadlines agreed upon with their mentors.
Open source projects apply to be mentor organizations. Once accepted, organizations discuss possible ideas with students and then decide on the proposals they wish to mentor for the summer. They provide mentors to help guide each student through the program.
Existing contributors with the organizations can choose to mentor a student project. Mentors and students work together to determine appropriate milestones and requirements for the summer. Mentor interaction is a vital part of the program.
How to Apply Google Summer of Code 2020 Open for Students.
Interested students can submit proposals on the program site between now and Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 18:00 UTC.
Apply here > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/get-started/
While many students began preparing in February when we announced the 200 participating open source organizations, it’s not too late for you to start! The first step is to browse the list of organizations and look for project ideas that appeal to you. Next, reach out to the organization to introduce yourself and determine if your skills and interests are a good fit. Since spots are limited, we recommend writing a strong proposal and submitting a draft early so you can communicate with the organization and get their feedback to increase your odds of being selected.
Remember to submit your proposals early as you only have until Tuesday, March 31 at 18:00 UTC. Good luck to all who apply!