TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2022: The International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) — comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Centre for Molecular and Drug Research in Karachi, Pakistan — and TWAS offer fellowships to young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in chemical and biological sciences.
Applications are invited from young scientists from developing countries (other than Pakistan) who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in chemical and biological sciences to apply for the TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowship.
Applicants must be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option) in order to apply for the fellowship. The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided with ICCBS.
Duration: Minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12 months.
02-Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS) – comprising the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular and Drug Research – for studies leading to a PhD degree in the following fields: organic chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular medicine, pharmacology, physical chemistry or analytical chemistry.
- Applicants must be registered for a PhD degree in their home country (SANDWICH option) in order to apply for the fellowship.
- The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 6 months and a maximum period to be decided with ICCBS.
- ICCBS will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation and incidental minor illness. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
- The language of instruction is English.
Eligibility Criteria for TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowship Programme
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences;
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
- provide a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- be registered PhD students in their home country and provide the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME university (see sample);
- provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from ICCBS (see sample preliminary acceptance letter that can be downloaded below or included in the application form). Requests for acceptance must be directed to the Director of ICCBS (Prof. M.I. Choudhary at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting Prof. Choudhary, applicants must accompany their request for a preliminary acceptance letter with copy of their CV and a research proposal outline and two reference letters;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Developing Countries in the South. Most TWAS programmes focus on supporting science and engineering in the listed developing countries through PhD fellowships, visiting scientists and other opportunities.
How to Apply for TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowship Programme 2022.
Please use the “apply now” button at the bottom of this page to start your application once the call is open.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as early as possible, even before the opening date of the call. Keeping in mind that only Acceptance letters dated the same year as the year of application are eligible. For the Acceptance letters, applicants are requested to provide their two-page curriculum vitae (CV), copy of the last degree, and at least two letters of recommendation (preferably one from the current supervisor).
Submitting your application
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 4 July 2022.
- Applicants must submit an Acceptance Letter from ICCBS when applying, or by the deadline at the latest. Without preliminary acceptance the application will not be considered for selection
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
- Applications can only be accepted via the online portal using the apply now button at the bottom of this page. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
Fax: +39 040 2240689
• International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS)
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Iqbal Choudhary, Director
University of Karachi
Tel: +92 21 4824 924, 4824 925
Fax: +92 21 4819 018, 4819 019
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Closing Date.
The Application Deadline for TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowship Programme is 4 July 2022.