CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition. Are you a photography enthusiast, a professional photographer, or someone who appreciates the beauty of the natural world? We invite you to participate in our upcoming ‘Trees, People, Planet’ photo competition and share your best shots.
CIFOR-ICRAF is seeking captivating images from every corner of the globe, showcasing the beauty and diversity of landscapes, forests, and wildlife and our relationship to them. This year, we encourage you to explore the theme of water, highlighting its crucial role in forest ecosystems.
Prizes / Awards.
- 1st Prize: $500
- 2nd Prize: $400
- 3rd Prize: $300
CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition Eligibility Requirements
- The CIFOR-ICRAF photo competition welcomes participants aged 18 or older. You are encouraged to use the photography equipment with which you are most comfortable. Employees of CIFOR-ICRAF are not eligible to enter.
- By submitting photos to the competition, the contributor agrees to a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial share-alike license (BY-NC-SA).
- By uploading the image, the contributor ensures that the image was taken legally and that they have the right to portray all people or other information contained in the image.
- Competition organizers reserve the right to use all photos submitted through the competition for CIFOR-ICRAF materials and exhibitions during CIFOR-ICRAF events. Contributors will be given credit when the organizers publish or use their pictures. Contributors do not have permission to use the photos they submitted for commercial purposes.
- Contributors who work for the media are required to attach an authorization signed by a representative of the media company employing them. This authorization should state that the contest organizers have permission to publish the author’s piece from the media outlet where the photo originally appeared. Please attach your approval (if applicable) to the submission form.
Note the following rules for this year’s CIFOR-ICRAF photo competition:
- Entries for the CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition should not include watermarks, signatures, or captions.
- Entries that have previously won other photography competitions will be automatically disqualified.
- Submissions featuring children or minors are not eligible.
- Entries generated using generative artificial intelligence tools or with their assistance are ineligible.
- Images portraying the willful harassment of wildlife will not be accepted.
- Photos taken in ways that cause or have caused environmental damage by the photographer, including capturing images in areas where human presence is restricted by authorities or property managers, are not eligible.
- Photos taken before the year 2010 will not be eligible.
Selection Criteria: CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition
All entries for the CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition will be reviewed by a panel of judges selected by the CIFOR-ICRAF team, who will select at least 30 photos from all eligible submissions received during the competition period. Finalists will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Creativity (30%)
- Photographic quality (30%)
- Composition (30%)
- Execution of theme (10%)
CIFOR-ICRAF will publish the finalist entries on its online platforms. The panel of judges will choose the first and second prize winners from the finalist entries, while members of the public will be invited to vote online for their favourite entry. The photo with the most votes will receive the ‘popular vote’ award. The CIFOR-ICRAF team will ensure that the first prize, second prize and popular vote winners are all selected from different participants.
How to Participate in the CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition.
The following guidelines will ensure interested applicants successfully apply for the CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition;
- Submit your entries
- You may submit multiple entries with maximum 3 photos; however, you can only have one ultimate entry in the final round
- The uploaded file must include the photo’s title, name, email address, social media handles (if applicable), and a caption stating the following: the subject and location, and a short description of the story behind the picture.
- You must have the full copyright to the submitted photos. Therefore, by submitting your entries the CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition, you will be presumed to have agreed to accept the contest rules and the terms and conditions.
CIFOR-ICRAF Photo Competition: Finalists
The CIFOR-ICRAF team will email all finalists in November. They will be invited to share a short video message about their photo and work. The best videos will be exhibited in our art gallery on CIFOR-ICRAF’s digital platform (more information to be announced).