African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) Young Insurance Professionals Programme 2020: The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) in conjunction with the London School of Insurance invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the 2020 / 2021 Young Insurance Professionals Programme (YIPP). The Programme is an online training academically designed to offer brilliant graduates the possibility of accelerated career development thereby contributing to the progress of the African insurance and reinsurance sector.
The African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) is the leading African reinsurance company with headquarters in Lagos (Nigeria). Africa Re has six regional offices: Casablanca (Morocco), Abidjan (Côte d’Ivoire), Nairobi (Kenya), Lagos (Nigeria), Cairo (Egypt) and Ebene (Mauritius). The Corporation equally has two subsidiaries: African Reinsurance Corporation South Africa Ltd in Johannesburg (South Africa), Africa Retakaful in Cairo (Egypt) and one Local Office in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia).
Africa Re has a broad-based shareholding comprising 41 African member States, the African Development Bank (AfDB), 114 African insurance and reinsurance companies and three non-regional shareholders, including leading global insurers and reinsurers. The Financial Strength and Credit Rating of Africa Re is A by A.M. Best and A – by Standard & Poor’s.
Applications are invited for:
Every year, successful candidates for the Young Professionals Programme will undergo a one-year training programme with a “stretch / learning assignment” built in, where they will gain valuable on-the-job experience. They will undergo an intensive 9 months’ on-line training on a specially designed package focusing on Reinsurance, Leadership and Management subjects. The training programme will be run in English and French.
Successful candidates will then be gathered for one week in Lagos or in another city where Africa Re has an office to conclude the training and for the graduation ceremony. During the one week face- to- face training, participants will be divided into teams. Each team will be requested to present a paper of not more than 5 pages on how they expect to influence their respective organizations in the areas of training, knowledge and skills acquisition if they assume positions of authority.
The programme is expected to positively impact participants to:
- Understand the reinsurance industry and their future missions with regard to strong leadership, governance and accountability;
- Develop a constructive approach to competition in the African reinsurance markets by reducing some poor practices and approaches;
- Improve professionalism;
- Develop / improve internal operations processes (client servicing, claims handling, etc.);
- Contribute to market research and segmentation for low income clients, and develop products for the masses in order to increase insurance penetration;
- Contribute to the construction of reliable database of re/insurance market statistics.
1. The Young Insurance Professionals Programme (YIPP) is an online training academically designed by the London School of Insurance in conjunction with Africa Re to fulfill its mission to foster the development of the insurance and reinsurance industry in Africa.
2. The objective of this annual online training programme is to offer brilliant graduates the possibility of accelerated career development thereby contributing to the progress of the African insurance and reinsurance sector.
3. The insurance programme is a starting point for an exciting career in the industry. Candidates who are successful for the Young Professionals Programme will undergo a training programme on a yearly basis with a “stretch/learning assignment” built in, where valuable on-the- job experience will be gained.
4. A career will be built by the YIPP trainee by acquiring knowledge and competencies through a unique mix of on-the-job experience and a dedicated online training programme in insurance, reinsurance, leadership and management modules.
5. At the end of this programme, it is expected that participants would have been positively impacted to understand the Reinsurance industry and their future missions with regard to strong leadership, governance and accountability;
6. Participants will be able to reduce some poor practices and approaches via developing a constructive approach to competition in the African reinsurance markets and improve professionalism.
Africa Re Young Insurance Professionals Programme Eligibility Criteria
Minimum requirements for eligibility:
- Citizen of a member state of Africa Re;
- Maximum 32 years of age;
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent;
- Relevant work experience in an insurance or reinsurance company, insurance broking firm or other related fields;
- Access to the internet;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and/or French.
- Africa Re will sponsor the top ten young professionals, who successfully complete the YIPP programme, to one of the major insurance/reinsurance events in Africa (AIO, FANAF);
- A certificate of completion issued by Africa Re and the London School of Insurance;
- Accelerated career development in the industry.
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2020
How to Apply African Reinsurance Corporation (Africa Re) Young Insurance Professionals Programme 2020
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Fill Application Form
To make the process of enrollment as easy as possible, please find below a list of the documents you will need to supply as part of the application process. Have these ready to upload before you start the process.
Submission of Applications:
- Please fill the form through the link above.
- Upload supporting documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Reference Form
- Passport Photo
Important Information / Notice
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail.
- Successful applicants will be contacted by email before “22 January 2021” and must be available to commence the programme in “February 2021”.
- Any candidate who does not participate in any of the modules will be excluded from the programme.
- Enquiries about the application process should be emailed to: [email protected]; or [email protected].
- Applications are welcome from qualified young African Insurance Professionals working with insurance or reinsurance companies, brokerage firms, supervisory authorities or related organizations.
- Applications received after the above deadline, will not be considered. Applicants should upload their curriculum vitae, cover letter and reference forms. If deemed necessary, an interview may be part of the assessment process.