ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships 2021/2022 For Study at ICIPE: The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD*) In-Country/In-Region PhD Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
icipe (www.icipe.org) is an African institute and a regional and global leader in research for development in insects and arthropods and their impacts, positive and negative, on food production, human and animal health, environmental sustainability and livelihoods.
icipe works across the continent with a network of partners, including universities, NGOs, and the private sector. It has a staff of >500 based at sites in Kenya, Ethiopia and Uganda. The Centre’s research is structured around four research health themes (Human, Animal, Plant and Environment Health) and employs a diverse range of science disciplines to achieve impact.
African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS)
The primary objective of the ARPPIS PhD Programme is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in internationally competitive research and development environments within national, regional and international research programmes. At icipe, ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, publishing scientific articles, writing grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct strategic, innovative research at icipe’s laboratories and field sites located in different agro-ecological zones.
- Seven ARPPIS PhD projects are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries: see List of Projects
- The programme cover all student costs, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- Successful candidates will register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after starting the PhD programme at icipe.
- The PhD programme will commence in September 2021.
ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships 2021/2022 For Study at ICIPE Eligibility criteria
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree with above average results (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent).
- Master’s degree with above average results (at least Second Class/Upper Division or equivalent), taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project (see List of Projects).
- Additional requirements may apply depending on the PhD project selected by the applicant. For information on applicant requirements for each available project see List of Projects.
- Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Completed application form, PhD project proposal (based on one of the available PhD projects), and accompanying supporting documents.
- Good working knowledge of written & spoken English.
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Candidates who are staff members of a public university, or considered for university teaching or research staff recruitment, are encouraged to apply.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships 2021/2022 For Study at ICIPE
PLEASE NOTE: Parallel to making an application to icipe, applicants must at the same time make an application to DAAD for an In-Country/In-Region PhD Scholarship. Please inform yourself about the respective application processes. Only complete applications made to both icipe and to DAAD will be considered.
- Full instructions for application to icipe: icipe application instructions
Deadline for applications to icipe: 22nd December 2020
- Full instructions for application to DAAD: DAAD application instructions
Deadline for applications to DAAD: 15th December 2020
For Questions & Inquiries:
If you have any questions regarding the ARPPIS PhD Programme or your application to icipe, kindly contact Ms. Vivian Atieno, Capacity Building Officer, icipe. Email [email protected]icipe.org
If you have any questions regarding your application to DAAD, kindly contact Ms. Vivian Magero, Programme Officer, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Regional Office for Africa, Nairobi. Email: [email protected]
We look forward to receiving your application.