World Press Institute Fellowships 2022-2023 for Journalists (Fully-funded): Applications for the World Press Institute Fellowships 2023 are open for journalists worldwide.
Each year, hundreds of professional journalists from around the world apply for 10 WPI fellowship slots.
The chosen finalists represent some of the best journalists in their respective countries. They are innately curious, intelligent and ambitious, and approach journalism with a deep sense of dedication and responsibility.
READ: KADPOLY Diploma in Law Admission Form 2022/2023
World Press Institute Fellowships 2022-2023 for Journalists (Fully-funded)
Fellows gain access to, engage in and observe the role, responsibility and impact of a free press firsthand in one of the world’s largest, most diverse democracies. Through an immersive program, you will learn how the U.S. founding principles of a free press and journalistic best practices help foster transparency and accountability of government institutions, businesses and organizations, including the most powerful ones.
In a guided tour across the country – including Chicago, New York City, Miami, Austin (Texas), San Francisco, and more – you will meet with and interview subject matter experts in media outlets, think tanks and advocacy organizations. You will hear firsthand accounts of new business models being tested and implemented among national and local media outlets.
You will learn about U.S. history and current affairs, as well as challenges the U.S. media faces, while experiencing and reporting on social, economic and political issues. You also will interact with people from a variety of walks of life and get some free time along the way to explore on your own.
Benefits of the World Press Institute Fellowships
WPI pays the following program expenses:
- Roundtrip airfare to the United States.
- Travel within the United States related to the WPI program.
- Fellows receive a modest daily allowance to purchase food.
Fellows are responsible for personal expenses, such as phone, camera, postage and clothing.
World Press Institute Fellowships Eligbility
- Applicant should have at least five years of full-time employment in print, broadcast or online journalism, including:
- News or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, websites or online publications.
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers.
- Those who supervise journalists are eligible if they also have at least five years as a working journalist.
- Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. Those who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible.
- Must be currently employed as a non-U.S. journalist working outside of the United States.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Potential for leadership.
WPI Fellows are required to adhere to the following terms. Violations of these terms could result in termination from the program.
- Prepare for and participate in all briefings and WPI scheduled events.
- Stay through the entirety of program and return to home countries when the program ends.
- Write for the WPI website among other outlets as assigned. Fellows are also encouraged to share with their readers, listeners or viewers back home.
- Participate in periodic reviews and evaluations, including several roundtable discussions to share insights into the U.S. or international journalism issues.
- Acceptance for others of different cultures.
- Willingness to travel – the program locations change frequently, and fellows often live out of suitcases.
How to Apply for World Press Institute Fellowships.
Applications for the March 2023 program are now being accepted.
The deadline for completed applications is September 15, 2022. The 2023 WPI fellows will be announced in early December 2022.
Deadline: September 15, 2022