International Mathematical Union (IMU) Simons African Fellowship 2021: Applications are invited from mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa for the IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program 2021. The deadline for submission of applications is October 1, 2021.
The IMU – Simons African Fellowship supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from African developing countries employed in Africa to travel to an internationally known mathematical center of excellence (worldwide) for collaborative research.
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation based in New York City, incorporated in 1994 by Jim and Marilyn Simons. The Simons Foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences. They sponsor a range of programs in the sciences, including grants programs in mathematics and the physical sciences. The primary focus of the foundation’s Mathematics and Physical Sciences division is the theoretical sciences radiating from mathematics: in particular, the fields of mathematics, theoretical computer science and theoretical physics.
IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program Eligibility.
- The applicant has to hold a valid doctoral degree – PhD in mathematics.
- The African applicant must be based in an African developing country.
- The applicant has to be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
- The applicant should already have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in mathematical centre of excellence worldwide and should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant. This plan should be approved by the host as well.
- The applicant should have been granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
- The application must also be accompanied by a formal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the short, research visit and the extent of the host institutions financial commitment and support.
IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program Grant.
The grant covers only for the applicant up to $5,000 USD:
- Travel costs
- from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare. The flight will be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
- (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary). Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the home and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
- In case the applicant has to stay in a hotel before departure or upon arrival, this needs to be mentioned in the budget details. Maximum one (1) night (both arrival and departure) can be paid from the grant.
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). If the accommodation includes breakfast or any other meals, the daily amount will be reduced.
- Accommodation cost in the host country (hotel is allowed if the host provides a statement that no guesthouse or rented flat is available and max. 4 weeks. If you stay longer than 4 weeks you have to rent a suitable apartment or guesthouse). Receipts for cash payments for accommodation costs can not be accepted! You have to pay via a trackable transfer method.
How to Apply for IMU–Simons African Fellowship Program.
To apply, take the following steps:
- Fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Upload all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD) as 1 joint PDF to the Online Application Form.
- A picture of you for the website (upload separately to the Online Application Form).