The University of East Anglia (UEA) is now seeking applications to apply for the UEA University Postgraduate Research in Social Work 2024. We are a top tier, research-led university and are committed to making a substantial impact on the global challenges facing society. Our postgraduate researchers have opportunities to work at the heart of active research teams, challenging boundaries and making real advances.
When UEA was established back in 1963, we had teaching space for around 1,200 students. Today, we’re home to over 17,000 students. The university is consistently rank in the top 30 universities in the UK. We also rank in the UK top 20 for research quality (Times Higher Education Rankings for the Research Excellence Framework 2021).
University of East Anglia Postgraduate Research in Social Work 2024
Staff research interests in Social Work include:
- Child protection
- Children and families in adoption
- Children in care
- Social work decision making
- Social work with people with mental health problems
- Support for vulnerable families
- Young people and crime
- Young carers
Working closely with an academic supervisor gives you the support to carry out your own independent research and make your own mark. We have a wealth of remarkable academics, but how do you know which team will be right for you?
We suggest you look at the School’s website, check out some academics and read up on some of their publications. We recommend that you identify at least one member of staff at UEA who might be your supervisor and that you contact them, to express your interest and discuss your research proposal.
You will need to submit a research proposal of no more than 2000 words with your application.
There are two research degrees available for University of East Anglia Postgraduate Research in Social Work:
- – PhD: A three-year full-time or six-year part-time degree during which you will contribute to the development of understanding and new knowledge within your field. You will produce an original research thesis of up to 100,000 words, assessed through an oral examination by experts within your field of research.
- – PhD by Publication: This programme is designed for an experienced researcher who can evidence extensive active research effort in their field and, through published work, a contribution to the development and understanding of your subject area. The PhD by Publication course is part-time and is assessed through a selection of published work, a critical analysis of your publications and oral examination. This should not be confused with the standard PhD (3-4 years full-time).
NB: Full- and part-time options are available.
UEA University Postgraduate Research in Social Work Entry Requirements.
The minimum academic requirement for entry to a doctoral degree is a UK upper second class undergraduate honours degree and a Master’s degree, or equivalent.
Details of the PhD by Publication, including entry requirements, can be found on our information pages.
If English is not your first language or you are from a country that is not on the UKVI list of English speaking countries , you may be required to provide evidence of your proficiency in the English language. Further information on English language requirements can be found on our information pages.
How to Apply University of East Anglia Postgraduate Research in Social Workk 2024
The first thing to do is to decide where your research interests lie.
Please take a look at the information on our research areas. We recommend that you identify at least one member of staff at UEA who might be your supervisor and that you contact them, expressing your interest. At this point you could attach your ideas for a preliminary proposal as most staff are willing to discuss early drafts of research proposals. It’s also advisable to read your potential supervisor’s academic papers that are recent and related to your research interest. References to these can be found on individual staff members webpages.
- Please take a look at our minimum entry requirements (see below) to check that you meet these before applying. Some projects have different requirements, so it’s worth checking individual projects before applying
- For all general enquiries at this stage, please contact email@example.com
- You can now fill in an application form, which must contain your formal research proposal. Guidance below on how to write your research proposal
- Once you’ve completed your online application and submitted it electronically, it will be checked by staff in the Postgraduate Research Service before being sent to academic selectors for consideration. Selection processes differ depending on the type of application you have made.
The School of Social Work accepts research students to start on 1 October, 1 February and 1 June.