International Mathematical Union Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2021: The International Mathematical Union (IMU) is now accepting applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries for the 2021 Abel Visiting Scholar Program. The deadline for submission of applications is 31st December, 2021.
The International Mathematical Union invites applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for a period of one month.
The program is designed for postdoctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring to also sustain a viable research program. The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is fully funded by the Abel Prize in mathematics. Usually, up to 3 Grants are available per year.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program Eligibility
- hold at the time of application a PhD in Mathematics;
- be based in a developing country at the time of application;
- hold a position in a university/ research institution;
- be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
- Not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college.
- be under 35 years of age at the day of the application deadline.
NOTE: The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern. This should be noted in the application together with the reason for the broken career pattern. Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program Grant
The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant up to 4,400 EUR ($5,000 Dollars). The following costs can be covered with the grant:
- Travel costs
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city. This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs). If the accommodation includes breakfast or any other meals, the daily amount will be reduced.
- Accommodation cost in the host country (hotel is allowed if the host provides a statement that no guesthouse or rented flat is available and max. 4 weeks. If you stay longer than 4 weeks you have to rent a suitable apartment or guesthouse). Receipts for cash payments for accommodation costs cannot be accepted. You have to pay via a trackable transfer method.
How to Apply for Abel Visiting Scholar Program
- The completed Online Application Form.
- A curriculum vitae of applicant and host, including a list of recent publications (max. 3 pages each).
- A research plan for the visit.
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner.
- One letter of recommendation. If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A copy of the PhD certificate.
- A statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. The statement should include the duration of your employment. Use the template attached.
- A budget estimation. Use the Tentative Budget Form.
- A picture of you for their website (upload separately to the Online Application Form).
- In case you are planning to stay for more than one month you must attached a proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution.
The following deadlines apply:
- April 30, 2021 for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2021
- August 31, 2021 for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2022
- December 31, 2021 for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2022