Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the Global Citizen Curtis Fellowship aimed at developing the professional and personal development of successful fellows through an innovative and engaging curriculum.
The 2022 Curtis Fellowship is an annual leadership development program to support youth ages 18-21 from underserved communities in South Africa who embody the values of global citizenship.
About the Curtis Scholarship: The Curtis Fellowship, conceived and funded by Global Citizen Ambassador and former long-time Pearl Jam manager Kelly Curtis through the Vitalogy Foundation, is an annual award to mentor and support Curtis Fellows. The Curtis Fellowship seeks to create, support, and equip a network of youth advocates and community leaders committed to local and global response on issues surrounding extreme poverty.
To qualify, applicants must be between ages 18-21 (by time of application), a South African Citizen, have limited past travel experiences, and a family household income of under $120,000 RAND. Those who come from previously disadvantaged backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Curtis Fellows will further develop their professional and personal development through an innovative and engaging curriculum. After completion, fellows will receive letters of recommendation, guidance on future endeavours and stay connected with other Curtis Fellow alumni.
Supported by members of the Global Citizen staff, the Curtis Fellows will explore social issues and innovative international organisations with a focus on poverty alleviation in Global Citizen’s issue areas.
Our mission is to equip students between the ages of 18-21 years old with the tools to become changemakers and ethical leaders through collective and engaged experiences.
Global Citizen Curtis Fellowship Eligibility Criteria
- Ages 18-21 (by time of application)
- Limited travel experience
- Family household income of under R 120 000
- Those who come from previously disadvantaged backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for Global Citizen Curtis Fellowship
Applications for 2022 Curtis Fellows are now open.
Deadline to apply: March 31st at 11:59pm (SAST)
Applicants must submit a 2-3 minute video or 500-700 word essay to email@example.com answering the following questions:
- What qualities do you identify with as an active citizen of the world?
- If selected, what lasting change would you like to achieve through the program?
- What specific socio-economic issues are you taking action on and why?
Applicants must submit a recommendation letter from a teacher/professor, school administrator, community leader, or colleague to be considered for the Curtis Fellowship.
- Guidelines for Recommendation letter
- Applications close March 31st, 2022 11:59 PM SAST.
- Innovative & Engaging curriculum from April-October focused on personal and professional development
- All Expenses paid learning trip to New York City in late September exploring cultural institutions, meeting with industry leaders, and more (if travel permits)
- Speaker Series with various industry leaders
- Networking Opportunities & Internship Opportunities
- Access to a growing Alumni Network & many more opportunities
- Monthly stipend to be included for a part-time commitment between April-October 2022