CASW Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award for Young Science Journalists 2020: Applications are open for the CASW’s Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award 2020 for Young Science Journalists. The award is intended to encourage young science writers by recognizing outstanding reporting and writing in any field of science.
Now in its 31st year, CASW’s Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award was created to recognize the contributions to the journalism of both Ev Clark and Seth Payne.
The Council for the Advancement of Science Writing is committed to improving the quality and quantity of science news reaching the public. Directed and advised by distinguished journalists and scientists, CASW develops and funds programs that encourage accurate and informative writing about developments in science, technology, medicine and the environment.
The award is intended to encourage young science writers by recognizing outstanding reporting and writing in any field of science. The 2020 winner will receive $1,000 and expenses to attend ScienceWriters2020 in Colorado.
The award is given in memory of Ev Clark, a veteran journalist at Business Week, The New York Times and Newsweek, and Seth Payne, his long-time friend and colleague at Business Week and a founder of the award. It is designed to carry on the work of both men, who offered friendship and advice to generations of young journalists.
- The 2020 winner will receive $1,000 and expenses to attend ScienceWriters2020 in Colorado.
CASW Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award Rules.
- The award is limited to non-technical, print, and online journalism. Articles published in newspapers (including college newspapers), magazines, newsletters, and websites are eligible. Both freelancers and staff writers are eligible. (Books, as well as articles in technical journals and trade association publications, are not eligible).
- Science writing includes, but is not limited to, writing in the biological, physical, environmental, computer, and space sciences, along with technology, mathematics, health, and science policy.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of accuracy, clarity, insightfulness, fairness, resourcefulness, and timeliness.
- Applicants must be age 30 or younger. The 2020 award will be limited to those applicants whose 31st birthday is July 1 2020 or later.
- Applications for the 2020 award will be accepted beginning January 1, 2020. Applicants may submit a single article or series, or up to four individual pieces.
- Articles must be published between July 1 2019 and June 30, 2020, but an entire series will be accepted if most parts are published between those dates.
- Applications may be submitted by the author or on the author’s behalf. All entries must be submitted in English.
Judging and Presentation
The award is judged by a panel of science writers and scientists selected by CASW and the Clark/Payne Fund, which was originally established at the National Press Foundation and is now managed by CASW.
Entries will be judged on the basis of
- Resourcefulness and
How to Apply CASW Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award for Young Science Journalists 2020.
Entries should not be elaborate. They may be submitted online through the CASW fellowships and awards site, http://casw.submittable.com/submit. All entries and submissions for the 2020 award must be received by JUNE 30, 2020.