Getty Foundation Scholar Grants 2021/2022 for Researchers: The Getty Scholar Grants are for established scholars, or individuals who have attained distinction in their fields.
Getty Foundation is now accepting applications from researchers of all nationalities for its 2021/2022 Scholar Grants. The deadline for the submission of applications for the Getty Foundation Scholar Grants is 1st October, 2020.
Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue their own projects free from work-related obligations, make use of Getty collections, join their colleagues in a weekly meeting devoted to an annual research theme or the African American Art History Initiative, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
- Applications are welcome from researchers of all nationalities who are working in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- Applicants who received their degree after September 1, 2016, should apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Scholar Grants. Recent recipients who have received a Getty Scholar award within the past three years may be removed from consideration.
Getty Scholars may be in residence from three to nine months:
- Three-month residency: September to December, January to April, April to June: $21,500
- Six-month residency: September to April, January to June: $43,000
- Nine-month residency: September to June: $65,000
- The grant also includes an office at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and an available healthcare option. These terms apply as of June 2020 and are subject to future changes.
Getty Foundation Scholar Grants Evaluation Criteria.
Getty Scholar Grants are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications are evaluated based on the following:
- The overall quality of the application;
- How the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme;
- The applicant’s past achievements; and
- How the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
How to Apply for Getty Foundation Scholar Grants.
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Getty Scholar grant application form, along with the attachments described below, by the deadline.
- Project Proposal: Each application must include a description of the applicant’s proposed plan for study and research (not to exceed five pages, typed and double-spaced). The description should indicate
- how the project bears upon the scholar year theme and
- how the project would be advanced by the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Optional Writing Sample