United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship 2023 is ongoing. Applications are invited from suitably qualified mid-level professionals and Government officials from developing countries who want to advance their knowledge and training in ocean affairs for the United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship 2023.
The 9-month Fellowship Programme comprises two consecutive phases that provide fellows with advanced and customized research and training opportunities in their chosen fields.
UN Nippon Foundation Fellowship Objectives
The United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship provides Government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing States with advanced training on ocean affairs and the law of the sea, as well as related disciplines, including marine science in support of management frameworks. Fellows will learn about international legal frameworks, key issues and best practices in ocean affairs, become familiar with the work of the United Nations, and develop professional skills. Fellows will also conduct individual research under academic supervision and develop a written thesis on a topic they selected.
Upon completion of the Fellowship, Fellows are expected to return to their home countries and use their in-depth knowledge and extended experience to assist in formulating comprehensive ocean policy and in implementing the legal regime set out in the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea and related instruments, including through designing, implementing and/or evaluating specific improvement projects.
United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship 2023 | Eligibility Criteria
Candidates wishing to be considered for the United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship award must meet the following criteria:
- You must be between the ages of 25 and 40;
- You must have completed a first university degree, and demonstrate a capacity to undertake independent advanced academic research and study;
- You must be a mid-level professional from a national government organ of a developing State, or another governmental or non-governmental agency in such a State, which deals directly with ocean affairs issues, and your professional position must allow you to directly assist your nation in the formulation and/or implementation of policy in this area. This includes marine sciences and the science-policy linkage. Your “Nomination and Recommendation Form” should be completed by a Government official or other official who can attest to the nature of your work concerning the Government’s ocean affairs and the law of sea-related activities, and indicate how an Award would directly contribute to these activities;
- Your proposed research and study programme must contribute directly to your nation’s formulation and/or implementation of ocean affairs and the law of the sea policies and programmes; and
- Unless otherwise authorised by the Division, you must be free of all non-Fellowship obligations during the entire Fellowship period.
How to Apply United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship
Interested applicants for the United Nations- Nippon Fellowship 2023 are to complete an online application and provide all the required documents by the application deadline.
The candidate must demonstrate satisfaction with the above criteria through the application forms and be confirmed by a nominating authority. Women candidates are strongly invited to apply, to achieve gender balance in the selection process.
Applications are welcome only when a call for applications is open.
For the conditions of the Fellowship, including travel, stipend payments, visas, medical clearance, insurance and housing, please see the Fellowship Conditions page.
Application Deadline: Not specified