Google Image Equity Fellowship for Image-based Creators 2022: Google’s first-ever Image Equity Fellowship is a 6-month, application-based Fellowship awarded to 20 early-career image-based creators of color in the US.
Selected Fellows will receive $20,000 in unrestricted funds to create an image-based project that explores and uplifts community(ies) of color with care and nuance. Fellows will receive support from Google and three industry-celebrated nonprofit partners—Aperture, For Freedoms & FREE THE WORK—in the form of dedicated mentorship, workshops, funding and publication of and press for their completed projects.
Table of Contents
Google Image Equity Fellowship for Image-based Creators.
In addition to the $20,000 unrestricted award, selected Fellows will receive direct support and curated guidance from industry-celebrated mentors and monthly workshop programming designed to empower these artists as creatives and business people.
1. Project Output: Over the 6 months of the Fellowship, Fellows will create an image-based (e.g. photographs, scans, collages) project that explores and uplifts a community or communities of color with care and nuance. The program is designed to give Fellows time to fully develop, explore and realize their vision, in collaboration with their subject(s). Fellows will also receive some support from Google and the partners for the in-person exhibition of their final Fellowship projects.
2. Mentorship: A curated set of mentors from across the industry bring a depth and diversity of experience that comprises fine arts, creative production commercial and curatorial practices.
3. Workshops: Monthly workshops will be led by industry experts across a range of topics that will support Fellows, both in the development of their projects and in their careers:
- How to Get Work and Sustain Your Art
- Financial/Legal Protection & Planning
- Navigating the Art World – Gallery Showings & Publishing
- Navigating the Commercial World – Marketing, Pitching & Sharing Your Work
- Community Outreach & Engagement
- Creative Project Management
- Fellow must self-identify as a person of color (e.g. Black, Middle Eastern, Indigenous, Asian, and/or Latinx)
- Fellow must be at least 18 years old (at the time of application submission)
- Fellow must have a valid United States address.
- Fellow must be able to submit a W9 form.
- If selected, Fellows will need to provide a W9, a US address, and bank account information.
How to Apply for Google Image Equity Fellowship
No exceptions will be made for late submissions. Please allow for ample time to complete your entry.
Applicants can submit from one body of work/project or multiple bodies of work/projects. They are looking for work that speaks to the creator’s commitment to storytelling and expression through photography. However, this body of work does not need to be complete; images can be from an ongoing project.
Deadline: July 17, 2022